Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The Next Step

So, I've decided it's probably going to get pretty old if I just get on here every day and talk about how I didn't get on facebook. Let's be honest, I can only say it so many ways. So, I've decided to take this time (and this blog) and make it about personal growth as well. Ok, mostly about personal growth at this point. Let's just say, going forward, unless I specify on any given day, I did not get on facebook. If I slip, I'll admit it, and try to identify what led me to that slip, but going forward, there will be little talk of how I'm not on facebook.

Today was the first day of the new schedule I set myself yesterday and so far, so good. I showered at 9...well, 9:05. I got distracted watching Once Upon a Time. Then did a 10 minute meditation. I decided to start out light, seeing as I've never done much sitting meditation. I mean, I've tried it now and then, but never on a regular basis because quite frankly, I don't like it very much. So I decided to start out simple. 10 minutes with low light and some background meditation music to drown out any distracting noises. Looped breathing for 10 minutes, in on the count of 4, hold for a count of 4, out for a count of 4, hold for a count of 4. It's an exercise we used to do in choir to help with breath control. Incidentally, it's also a very popular meditation exercise. It's nice because it's something familiar for me, because of choir, and it's simple. My goal for now is just to be able to sit for an extended period of time and try to keep my mind clear. I may just stick with this going forward, but after a week or two I'm going to reevaluate and decide if I want to change things up. I may decide to make myself sit for a longer period of time, or decide to different meditation exercises, but for now, this what I'm going to stick with.

I also think I'm going to try to start journaling again. I used to journal pretty regularly. Mostly when things weren't going the way I wanted it my life, or when something was really bothering me. But, it's a good thing to do to help me become more self aware I think. Plus, there are always things that I could write in a journal that I'm no comfortable putting out on the internet.

It's 9:50 now. I think I'll do a quick journal entry, then lay down by 10, as I set for myself, to do some reading. In case you're wondering, I'll be reading Isis and Osiris by Jonathan Cott. It's a book I've been working on for a while, but haven't afforded myself enough time to finish.

Also, in case you were wondering, today is exactly one month till my birthday. You may think I'm too old to care about that, but I am a firm believer that everyone should be excited for and celebrate their birthday, no matter what their age.

No comments:

Post a Comment